Friday, July 22, 2005

Its time to get paaaaid


Hey, you can't say T.O. has'nt earned it. Owens caught 14 TD's last season, 11 more than all of the other scrubs Philly had at WR combined, 1200 yards, 60 less than the same WRs COMBINED. Why should'nt he be paid like one of the best recievers in the league?

I understand that he is one year into a 7 year contract, I even understand that his current contract isnt that bad, but why should'nt he be able to renegotiate his contract if he has overplayed it. The owners in Philly who are crying about honoring contracts and the code of ethics and all that need to shutup. NFL teams ROUTINELY dont honor player contracts. They cut people all the time to save money on the cap. Dont tell me your team has never cut a guy that is supposed to make 8 million dollars in the final year of his contract. So that honor shit is just that, shit. And then come the jabs:

Sez Joe Banner (Eagles president):

"If we were dealing with somebody who was looking at this logically and was going to come to a common-sense conclusion, you'd say [he'll report to camp on time], but you're dealing with two people here who, frankly, don't think in common-sense terms. Anything can happen. They're not going to necessarily do what makes sense."

Replies T.O:
"It doesn't bother me. "When it all boils down to it, I'm doing what's best for my family. Not to stir anything up, but I don't really have to play for the Eagles, to be honest. I can go play with any other team and still be productive.


"If [Banner] feels that way, then get rid of me. I have no gripes, no ill feelings toward any of the players on that team. This is business. They know how business is conducted. I've told them what I'm doing is for my family. If they can't understand that -- and if they feel like I'm a no-nonsense guy -- he wants to talk about Drew and I -- if we're problems then I feel like we can be adults about it. Trade me. Release me, and we can part ways like adults."


With all that being said, Owens in all likelihood will be playing for the Eagles come Sept. 12.

7 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Blogger Fitz said...

1. T.O is a fucking crybaby. First, he was being "held back" by Garcia and Mariucci, but it doesn't seem like he can get along with ANYONE in the one sport where teamplay is absolutely essential.

2. He IS coming off a season where he suffered a notable injury. While it's true that he had a great season, it's also true that the Eagles rolled through the NFC playoffs without TO.

3. Who gives a shit? How much is he making this year, 5-8 million? No offense, but I'm not exactly crying in my Natural Light for the guy. He's going to retire at 35 with 50 million dollars. Boo-hoo.

4. Champions just play. These hold-outs are severly fucking up the NFL, because the best players don't play at their top level because they come to camp too late. Orlando Pace, I'm looking in your direction.

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not going to argue that the Eagles are in the right, because absolutely teams pull that "accept a pay cut or we'll just cut you entirely" crap all the time (look at Eddie george last year. I'm not a George fan or Titans fan, but after all the carries and yards he gave them, to get cut like that? Bullcrap.)

Here's the thing though: I hate Owens, not because of his endzone celebrations (does that need a no homo?), because I don't really care, except for that time in Dallas where he ran to the star at the 50-yard line TWICE. That was stupid. Owens bugs me because it's always someone else's fault when things don't go right. He threw Jeff Garcia, and Mariucci under the bus in San Fran. It's their fault he doesn't get enough catches, not because he gets a little shy running over the middle, or because teams double and triple team him, so they throw to the guys who are more open. When things started to go south it was because Garcia's arm was too weak to throw deep passes to T.O. Funny how Owens didn't complain about that when the 49ers were good. Then last year in that blowout loss to the Steelers, he starts bitching out McNabb, like it's his fault the Eagles can't stop Bettis. Worst of all, because he acts like this, I wind up agreeing with Skip Bayless, which is why I hope Owens sits out the whole season and gets zero money, and has to come crawling back to Philly.

-CalvinPitt

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger tonymacq said...

I see that Fitz and Pitt are in agreement against me here..... let me just say this. For all the stuff that you guys mentioned that he has done in the past, how much of that affects what happened last season? It doesnt. He put up the type of numbers that should get a person a big payday.

At least agree that hes being underpaid by NFL standards of course. He is one of the 2 or 3 best players at his position, all he is asking is that he get payed like it. Is that so wrong? We know hes an asshole, but just like Sean Taylor, who Ill be posting about later, he is a very productive ass hole (now is when you would a no homo) no homo.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger tonymacq said...

And btw Fitz they rolled through an NFC playoff in which ATL was the next best team, when they got to the real cream of the crop (New England)where would they have been without TO?

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would agree T.O. is one of the best WRs in the game but here's what I figure. He knew what the contract numbers looked like, that after a first year where he makes like 7 million, the next he gets 2-3 million (Not sure about those figures, seems right). He knew that, and he should have known that the Eagles don't renegotiate, that you either play by the contract they gave you, or they'll let you go (jeremiah trotter), and he still signed it. Because he's T.O., because he's special, because Rosenhaus is his agent, and they'll just throw a fit if they don't get what they want, just like when he got traded to baltimore because his previous agent screwed up the paperwork. Maybe if he goes there he gets the contract he wants, but he didn't want to play in baltimore.

Now he's in Philly, where HE wanted to be, and he's still not happy. Regardless of how good he is, I still think he's being a monumental pain in the ass, and the Eagles should not give in (by either giving him a new contract or trading/releasing him)

And yeah the Eagles making it to the Super Bowl without him doesn't mean much in last year's NFC. That my Cardinals were 6-10 and still had a shot at the playoffs before the last two weeks of the season, says all you need to know. That and the fact the 8-8 Rams DID make it. Martz is terrible.

-CalvinPitt

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Fitz said...

1. Martz is terrible.

2. The Players Association told Owens it was a shit contract and he still signed it.

3. Agreed, the NFC was super-gay last year, but that's not the point. He DID miss games, and they still got to the Super Bowl.

4. Still, my basic point stands: Shut up and win a super bowl. That's how NFL players really make their money anyway. I guarantee you that Tom Brady has made more in Nike and GM endorsements than he has from his relatively low paying contract

 
At 1:54 AM, Blogger David said...

that mofo better fucking play cause i've got McNabb as my fantasty qb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home