Monday, December 08, 2008

Well, How About That?

Your NFC West champions for 2008, the Arizona Cardinals! I'm happy, though that's really more about the fact they beat up on the Rams. After those last two losses I was getting a little worried, and the fact they beat up on a team they should beat up on was encouraging. Arizona isn't a great team, but they beat the teams they ought (read: bad teams), so they're at least good.

Truthfully, I'll be happier if they win the Minnesota game next week. Right now, they're only guaranteed a .500 record. Beating Minnesota would make them at least a 9 win team, and they'd still have a chance at 11 wins**. In my time as a Cardinals fan, I've seen two 8-8 teams, and one 9-7 (10-8 after their postseason ended) teams. A 10 or 11 win team would be nice, I think. Really, I just don't want them in the playoffs as an 8-8 team. I know, they're the Arizona Cardinals, I should take whatever I can get. Believe me, I know. I've been struggling all season with trying to be satisfied with whatever they do, and watching how well they play sometimes and expecting them to do more, do better.

Where was I? Oh right, wanting a victory over Minnesota. The Vikings are another team like Arizona, in that they're not great, but they're good, and it'd be nice to add another team to the list of not lousy teams the Birds have beaten this year*. I'm a little worried about Adrian Peterson, though he apparently had some fumble issues this week against Detroit, and if there's one thing Arizona' D knows how to do, it's force and recover fumbles***. It's purely selfish, and not sportsmanlike at all, but I kind of hope Goodell overrules that judge and the Vikes' Williams DT combo misses the game. It may be the only was Arizona can get any positive yardage on the ground.

Which brings us to the major concern with this team, that they can't (or won't) run the ball. The last time they played the Rams, they had over 134 yards on the ground. This time it was only 63, on 22 carries. I know a grind it out, between the tackles runner like Edge doesn't really fit Arizona's spread the field and air it out style, but I think a guy who can charge in their and at least gain a few yards each time would be a welcome change. Seems like everytime I actually see the Cards trying to run the ball, the runner (usually Mr. Hightower) is getting hit in the backfield. It's concerning, you know? Oh well, division champs, hoorah!

And I guess, congrats to the Giants and the Titans for clinching their divisions. I'm sure the Giants aren't being allowed to enjoy that, what with their losing and having Tom Coughlin for a coach all. That was a pretty impressive blocked FG returned for a TD they had though. Those special teams can pick you up, or drop you on your head, can't they?

* That list is currently comprised of Dallas, Miami, and Buffalo. Hey, the Bills were still good when they got crushed by Arizona!

** I know, slim chance of beating the Patriots in Foxboro, but if they play, then there is at least a chance of victory.

*** The broadcast team for yesterday's game mentioned Arizona is first in the NFL in those categories, and they got the ball away from Steven Jackson twice yesterday.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Please, please beat the Vikes next week. The Bear's need the help, not that they deserve it.

Anyway, congrats on makin gthe play-offs, hopefully this will help the Cards become a perennial winner.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I certainly hope the Cardinals can help you out there.

And remember what Clint Eastwood said in Unforgiven: Deserves got nothing to do with it. If it did, Arizona (and Denver) would probably both get bounced in favor of a 3rd place team from the AFC East/NFC South.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home