Saturday, December 06, 2008

More Personal Conundrums

So it's the Yuletide season, and you know what that means. Salvation Army volunteers outside stores, ringing their bells and looking for donations. This, strangely enough, presents me with a problem. See, I like to put something in their jar, bucket, can thing. Not a lot, because I usually don't have much on me I can spare, so we're talking 2, 3 bucks.

But there's a problem. For whatever reason, I feel self-conscious putting money in while the bell ringer is watching. I know, stupid. One of the times I was most eager to donate was when I stepped out of a store and saw the bell ringer conversing with someone, with their back to the bell. I deftly grabbed most of what was in my wallet ($5 tops), stuffed it in and hustled away.

The best explanation I can come up with is that the bell-ringer always thanks you when you put money in, and I feel embarassed being thanked for donating $2, so I prefer to skip all that. I have donated when the bell ringer was standing there, and I just feel awkward. I need to master ninja skills of invisibility it seems.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home