Saturday, June 21, 2008

Discussing The Concept Of Liberated Fandom

I was introduced to the term while reading Freedarko, which is a blog that discusses basketball, usually by comparing styles of play and/or players to film directors, schools of political thought, or psychological styles, to name a few. So you get posts and comments where the Phoenix Suns of 05-06 are compared to Godard, while the 07-08 Lakers are Bertolucci. As a biology major, most of that just goes right over my head. If it's going to make sense to me, compare the Suns trade for Shaq, and its subsequent failure to produce better results to the Biological Species Concept.

Actually, don't do that, because I've decided I will.

At any rate, "liberated fandom" as I understand it, is that a fan should not just be someone who always roots for a team, and does so because they've rooted for that team since they were a child, just like their father and grandfather (or mother and grandmother, or whatever). That kind of fandom is perfectly OK, but so is the Freedarko style of rooting for a team because of the way they play, or rooting for a player because of their style, or what they represent, and that can vary with each fan's personal taste.

To me, it seems that the later in life I became invested in a sport, the more my fandom incorporates the latter style. I started watching baseball when I was five or six, and for me it has been pretty much the Cardinals or bust*. There are players on teams other than the Cardinals that I like, or respect the skills of**, but it isn't enough for me to really root for their team due to their presence.

I started watching the NFL in 1993, and while I have stuck with the Arizona Cardinals through that, there have been a host of other teams I rooted for at various times, usually because of a particular player. In a lot of cases, that player was a quarterback, usually one with a fairly average arm, but good mobility. I rooted for the Chiefs because of Joe Montana, and I stayed with the Chiefs until they decided to go with Elvis Grbac as their starting QB, and let Rich Gannon go***. So I followed Gannon to the Raiders. When the Bills signed Doug Flutie, I had the opportunity to read a few articles about him, and so I rooted for the Bills as a result. When the Bills opted to dump Flutie to stick with Rob Johnson, I started following the Chargers****. I sort of idly watched the Rams during their first 2 "Greatest Show on Turf" years because I like high-octane football, and the Rams were providing it. I only actively rooted for the Rams when Arizona traded Aeneas Williams to them, because I wanted him to get a ring*****. When Vermeil took over the Chiefs, I went back to them because we got the best kind of football for my viewing pleasure: A team with a great offense and lousy defense, so everybody scores lots of points. Woo-hoo!

I didn't really start watching the NBA until 97-98 (also known as the 2nd year the T-Wolves lost in the 1st round). I was a Timberwolves fan for about 8 years, but when it became clear that it wasn't going to happen for them, I kind of lost interest and gravitated to the Suns and eventually the Warriors, with their run-and-gun style. I don't know what it means that I seem less loyal to teams as I get older, but that seems to be the trend. Maybe I figure I can't keep adopting sad sack franchises, when I've already got Arizona.

* There was a time early on where I chose the Blue Jays as my AL team, but then I decided I had no use for the DH, so that died a quick death.

** Jamie Moyer in the first category, Alex Rodriguez in the second. Mostly I feel bad for A-Rod. He takes so much shit when he doesn't merit it.

*** That certainly worked well for Kansas City.

**** Man, general managers are some dumb folks some time. Just because a guy has a big arm doesn't mean he's any good. Honestly, you'd think Montana would have taught them that.

***** He came so close, too. Stupid Martz and his refusal to run the football.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger Jason said...

All of the teams that I love, I was raised with, so even though I may hate their players, coaches or styles, I still am stuck with them in my heart. The Cubs are the only team I haven't actively hated during my time as a fan, though the last few months of Dusty Baker's tenure almost got me there. But mostly, I just hated him.

The Bears' style of play I generally cannot stand at all. It's all well and good to say they are a "defense first, run the football, smashmouth team". Unfortuantley, that translates into, "if our QB cocks back his arm to throw, cover your eyes."

The Bulls completely killed my interest in the NBA for about a decade based upon the fact that with MJ, they were just too damn good. It took all of the fun out of the sport in 97 & 98 knowing....knowing that they were going to win no matter what. I was actively rooting for the Pacers in 1997, just because they weren't the Bulls. But I realize that I can't really complain about getting to watch and root for(several times live), probably the greatest team ever.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

jason; At least the Bears QBs seem to be Internet comedy gold, between Rex being nicknamed the "Sex Cannon" by (I think) the Kissing Suzy Kolber crew, and Orton, his neck beard, and all those shots of him swigging a bottle of Jack. There's a man who enjoys his liquor, but in a tasteful way, as opposed to Leinart and his beer bonging w/co-eds. Jeez, Matt could you at least get Arizona into the playoffs before you pull this junk?

When the Cardinals (MLB version) were doing real well in the early 2000s, I kind of had that same reaction you did to the Bulls, minus the 6 titles. It seems like watching a team can be more fun with there's a flaw that can be discussed, analyzed, etc.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Jason said...

"Tasteful" in regards to Orton? Look at those pictures, in everyone of them his t-shirt is soaked because he's constantly missing his mouth. I have a two-year old that can hold his liquid better than that kid (mind you, he's drinking milk).

Then again, Orton's gotta drink. All he does is win games and then grabs some more bench once "Sexy Rexy" (as he's known on Chicago sports-radio) decides he can come off the IR and play another quarter.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Maybe other people are spilling their drinks on him, because it's just such a happenin', awesome party?

Not buying that? Hmm, it's the gnomes who live in his beard, using miniature funnels to redirect the alcohol. Hmm, maybe Grossman could use that excuse. "It's not my fault! The little people in Orton's beard where screaming into my helmet mike, it threw off my concentration!"

OK, fine, I was spending too much time looking at Orton's glazed over eyes to notice his shirts, and wait, I've got it!

He tells his teammates he can light on fire like the Human Torch, and that's why he needs his shirt soaked in alcohol! Anything for a joke.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home