Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Edmonds To The Cubs?

That's the rumor, that the Cubs are considering signing Jim Edmonds, who the San Diego Padres recently released.

On the one hand, I was against the Cardinals trading for Edmonds prior to the 2000 season. He'd been hurt, was an alleged clubhouse problem, and I didn't figure the Cardinals could spare the pitching they were losing in Kent Bottenfield (before you criticize, recall Bottenfield won 18 games in '99). Through 2005, Edmonds stayed mostly healthy (minimum of 137 games played every year), and he was apparently a locker room leader with the 2006 squad, and I never heard anything bad about him chemistry-wise until last year. So I was wrong. It happens.

I think I was a pretty staunch Edmonds supporter for most of his time here. He struck out more than I would have preferred, but so did Ray Lankford, and I liked him. It actually got to the point where, in 2002 and 2003 (I think), I would get routinely angry because Bernie Miklasz would write columns advocating the Cardinals trade Jimmy Eds for starting pitching, because Edmonds got hurt too much. Let's overlook the fact that Edmonds plays in at least 130 games, compared to a starting pitcher's ~35. We'll further overlook that the guy he mentioned most frequently as the desired target was Darren Dreifort. Yeah, that would have solidified the Cardinals rotation, like a pair of cement shoes. Consider simply that the current starters might have missed having Jim in the outfield behind them, and who was going to take his place? At that time, the prime candidates were Eli Marrero ( a converted catcher) or J.D. Drew (who makes Edmonds look like Cal Ripken Jr.).

So I was a fan of Edmonds, but not to the point I didn't recognize his declining skills, and so I wasn't all that sad when the Cardinals traded him last offseason. If nothing else, I figured he and LaRussa would be happier if they were in different time zones. So I'm not distraught at the thought of him patrolling centerfield for the Cubs, primarily because I figure he'd be bad enough to help sabotage their season. Whoo-hoo!

Really, I don't get this from the Cubs' perspective. I recognize that Felix Pie and Reed Johnson have not torn the cover off the ball, but Edmonds was hitting so poorly that the Padres, the worst offense in the league, told him to get lost. And there's no way he's as good defensively as Pie at this stage in their careers.

As far as I can tell, Cubs' fans aren't any happier than Cardinals' fans. What I did find curious (read, mindblowingly stupid) was one Cubs fan listing things about Edmonds everyone in Chicago hates. Among those was that he sprints around the bases after he hits a home run. I somehow doubt this person speaks for all Cubs' fans. Edmonds would have been hitting those home runs against the Cubs, and this fellow is sore Jim didn't stop to admire them? Note to self: If I ever hit a home run at Wrigley, pause at the plate for 30 seconds, as if the ball is still going, then walk around the bases, meandering over to the stands on the first base side to steal a Cubs' fan's beer, then doing the same on the third base side, except this time taking a hot dog. Oh, and remember to stop, drop my pants, and wave my ass in the direction of Chicago's dugout (but not if Joe Buck is at the game). Then I will be a legend in Chi-town.

Tomorrow, I'm planning my Cardinals' 1/4 season review. Yep, we're at that time of year where I almost post here regularly!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:02 PM, Blogger Jason said...

As a Cubs fan, I think this is a pretty OK idea. We've been waiting for a long, long time on Pie, so I think it's better to send him back to AAA and try something else. Since Edmonds will only cost the Cubs $225K (after pro-rating the minimum), that's not a bad risk. The thing I like the best about Lou is that he'll cut the cord quick, so if Edmonds is a bust, he'll be back on the street in a month.

As for the morons bitching about what he does after hitting a home run, well, they're morons.

Still seems weird though.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I'm glad Jim gets one more chance to prove he has something left, though I agree that Lou won't let him stay long if he's useless (as Michael Barrett and Jacque Jones can attest).

I had thought Jim wasn't Pie's equal defensively, but according to range Factor, Jim's got the edge (2.71 to 2.52). Weird.

The advantage is the Cubs seem to have a potent enough offense - with Lee, Ramirez, Soriano, Fukudome, and even Soto and DeRosa are pretty good, Theriot has his moments - they can afford to have a CF strictly for his defense. So I'll have to amend my opinion, and say it's not a bad gamble on the whole.

And going to AAA seems to have helped Ronny Cedeno, so maybe it'll help Pie too. I'm sure the greater playing time will help.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Jason said...

The other thing about Jim, is that the guy is lights out at Wrigley. They were quoting his numbers at the friendly confines during last night's game and they were crazy. Couple that with the fact that we have a really small outfield for him to patrol, it could be a good fit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home