Saturday, January 12, 2008

Divisional Round Predictions

Before we get to that, lets take a look back at last week. I went 3-1, not too shabby by my standards. I actually called the Washington/Seattle game almost perfectly, except I didn't think Washington would ever actually take the lead. Tampa screwed me over, and Jacksonville nearly did the same. The Chargers/Titans game had less scoring than I expected, but it went pretty much how I figured.

Seattle at Green Bay: I think Seattle is gonna pull this off. I think they can shut down the Packers running game, though Ryan Grant has looked pretty good the second half of the season, and if they put pressure on Favre, I think he'll have one of those "gunslinger" games with lots of interceptions. I'll probably regret this, but Seattle 20, Green Bay 13. {Update: I was right, I do regret my prediction. So much for Seattle shutting down the Packers' running game. Final Score - Green Bay 42, Seattle 20.}

Jacksonville at New England: By all accounts, there won't be any weather conditions that would make throwing the ball hard. And Jacksonville's pass defense isn't as strong as their run defense, and they haven't shown many signs of being a team that likes to blitz. Which is too bad, because crazy blitzing teams seem to be the ones that can stymie the Pats the longest (Baltimore, Philly). Plus, the Jags haven't really shown that they're a team that's good at coming back if they fall behind early. They're built to hold a lead, not overtake a deficit. And at this stage, I wouldn't advise picking against the Pats until someone actually shows they can beat them. New England 35, Jacksonville 17. {Update: The Jags kept it close a lot longer than I thought they would, for all the good that does them. At some point, I have to think someone is going to try and play the Lawrence Taylor to Tom Brady's Joe Theisman. Final score - New England 31, Jacksonville 20.}

San Diego at Indianapolis: I have to think the Colts are looking to make up for that earlier loss to the Chargers. You know, the game where they lost by two because Peyton threw six picks and Vinateri missed two field goals? And that was in San Diego. The Colts are healthier now, playing at home, and the Chargers didn't show me anything last week that suggests they can run with the Colts in the postseason. Indy 42, San Diego 14. {Update: Well thanks for making me looking like an idiot, Indy. I'm thinking Tony Dungy's odds of retiring just went way up. Getting beat at home by a Norv Turner-coached team will do that to you. Final score - San Diego 28, Indianapolis 24}

New York at Dallas: Man, I hope Romo plays well and the Cowboys win. I can't believe I just said that, but if Romo plays poorly, and especially if Dallas loses, we'll never hear the end of this crap about how Jessica Simpson is a distraction. Granted the Cowboys haven't played all that well the last month, and the Giants have been fighting for their lives, but it's still Eli Manning on the road against an actual good team (a situation he hasn't had much experience with this year). Unfortunately, I think Dallas will play ball control because T.O. is less than 100%, which lets the Giants stay close, then Romo will make a critical mistake that will cost the Cowboys. New York 19, Dallas 17. {Update: Damn I'm good. Only two points off. To be fair though, I think I overestimated how injured Owens would be. he seemed to be doing pretty well in the first half, not that it wound up doing Dallas any good. Final score - New York 21, Dallas 17}

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Is it me, or did both teams look really bad in that Indy/SD game? I don't think anyone could have predicted that Indy's receivers would drop so many passes and that their defense would be that bad.

Gosh I hope NY wins this game. I have a Cowboys fan in the office I want to laugh at tomorrow.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

jason: Well, it looks like you get to have your laugh. I must confess I was only half-watching the Indy/SD game, but I wouldn't have expected Indy to play that poorly. Maybe they were too confident, too quick to write off their earlier loss to flukes?

We do seem to have a lot of receivers dropping passes this postseason. Romo had one hit a receiver in the chest, and not get caught, Hasselbeck had that TD pass go right through Pollard's hands.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home