Saturday, March 19, 2011

Checking In

It's been over a month since my last post here, but I haven't felt particularly inspired. Looking at my last post, I guess I should mention discussion of Albert Pujols' contract situation has mostly subsided. At least it's not being brought up on the Cardinals' websites I read. That was a pleasant surprise.

Wainwright's gotten hurt since my last post, and Kyle McClellan seems poised to be the new #5 starter, which I'm cautiously optimistic about. If Braden Looper could manage two marginally effective seasons as a starter for the Cards, why not McClellan? Injuries are a concern, but they're a concern for everyone else in the rotation, so he'll fit right in.

Nick Punto's also hurt, and won't be back until May, at least. Which has opened the door for either Daniel Descalso or Matt Carpenter to make the team. While I'm intrigued by Carpenter (a supposedly average 3rd baseman with limited home run power but excellent plate discipline), I think Descalso's the choice. He has a little major league experience already, while I don't believe Carpenter's even played about AA, and Descalso's more defensively versatile. He can play 3rd like Carpenter, but also 2nd. If he were to somehow get the majority of the playing time away from Schumaker, I wouldn't mind it a bit. Not that I think Descalso's a worldbeater, just an upgrade on Skip. Anyway, let Carpenter get some time in AAA, Freese, Craig, Descalso (and Punto when he gets off the DL, I guess) can handle the hot corner for now.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home