Saturday, July 07, 2007

Very Quick Die Hard Review

I saw Live Free or Die Hard on Thursday with my dad. Not a bad flick, though it might have been just a little too over the top, especially the part with the semi, the fighter jet, and the overpass. I would like to hear the pilot's official report of that incident. 'The pilot received what was believed to be official confirmation that the terrorists were in the semi-trailer. The pilot launched a missile, except it missed, hit an overpass support, and caused the collapse of said overpass. Despite expenditure of considerable munitions, the pilot failed to kill the suspected terrorists, and was forced to eject when his VTOL engines were damaged by falling chunks of overpass.' I can't imagine that sequence would earn him a promotion.

I went off on a tangent there. So much for quick review. Fortunately I don't have much else to say. I didn't enjoy the film as much as Die Hards 1 or 3, and I think the main thing I'm going to remember about the movie is that I can't recall ever seeing non-robotic, non-alien bad guys that were so damn hard to kill. People getting hit by cars, falling out of helicopters, launched into walls at high speed, and they just wouldn't die. Crazy stuff.

On the whole it wasn't as good as another flick I watched with my father called Seraphim Falls. It's a cowboy flick with Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan. Yeah, about the two guys you'd least expect to see in a Western, but there they were Bronsnan's character trying desperately to avoid death at the hands of Neeson and, while going through five horses in a movie that runs under two hours. Near the end of the movie, it starts to get real weird, as either there are some real oddball characters running around in the desert, or else Brosnan and Neeson were sharing hallucinations. It does have some of those moments where it's clear a character is doing something simply so more backstory can be revealed, like when Brosnan builds a fire to draw his pursuers into a certain spot, then just hangs around watching them during the night until Neeson sneaks up behind him and makes him lose his firearm. I hate stuff like that, especially when it's as obvious as it was there.

Beyond that not a bad flick, you could probably find it pretty cheap to give it a looksee, you might enjoy it more than me (and I wasn't disappointed by it for the record, just slightly annoyed in places).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home