Sunday, May 06, 2007

First Round Recap

The start of the NBA playoffs means that it's time for me to actually pay attention to basketball, and I wanted to take a look back at the first round, now that it's over, and look try to predict the second round.

Eastern Conference: The East didn't sport a whole lot of competitive basketball, based on three of the four series being sweeps. But it seemed like a lot of those games were close, which at least made the individual games more interesting, even if it didn't help the overall series any.

Detroit/Orlando: These games were suprisingly close, but it was probably the Pistons playing down to their level of competition, more than Orlando being any kind of a challenge. I doubt Darko made Joe Dumars feel bad for trading him, though Joe probably still feels bad about drafting him. I feel bad for Grant Hill, because he finally has a season in Orlando where's he's healthy, and the team makes the playoffs, and his old team sends him home in no time flat.

Cleveland/Washington: Can't really hold it against the Wizards getting swept here, with them missing two of their three best players. I can hold it against Cleveland for letting the Wizards be in pretty much every game. I know the Wizards were busting their asses trying to win this series, but it seems like the Cavs ought to have been able to just blast them off the court. And did I hear right, were the Cavs getting outscored in the paint in these games? By who? Brendan Haywood and Etan Thomas?

Toronto/New Jersey: The lone non-sweep in the East. I'd heard good things about the Raptors, but hadn't gotten to see them play. They've got some pretty good young players, so they ought to be a factor next year as well, but I think they were overwhelmed by being in the playoffs, against a team that's used to it. I also think Sam Mitchell missed a chance to cement his job in Toronto by not clotheslining Vince Carter as he ran up court during one of the games in Toronto. I think the Raptor fans would have loved him for it. At the very least, I'd have gotten a chuckle out of seeing it, and watching the talking heads on ESPN have coronaries about it. Jay Mariooti probably would have peeled his own face of in sheer indignation over it.

Miami/Chicago: And I'd like to take this moment to thank the Bulls for sending Pat Riley home early. Nothing against his current team; I've just had it in for Riles since all those godawful Knicks/Heat playoff series back in the '90s. Those things were an affront to basketball. At least Riley lets Wade run a little these days. Anyway, congrats to the Bulls for taking advantage of their home court to get an early series lead, then not letting the Heat up off the ground in Miami.

Pistons/Bulls: Game 1 is already in the books, with the Bulls getting hammered. They're up against another playoff-tested team, but one that isn't as decrepit or banged-up as Miami. I don't see the Bulls winning the series, but I don't see them get wiped out like in Game 1, if for no other reason than the Pistons seem to play to the level of their competition. I can easily see the Pistons going up 2-0, losing one in Chicago, then letting their foot off Bulls' throat in Detroit in Game 5, and this thing goes 7. Detroit in anywhere from 5-7.

Cleveland/New Jersey: New Jersey. Because they've got experience and they've got the scorers to cause trouble. Cleveland was getting close games from the Gilbert and Caron Butlerless Wizards; how much trouble will they have against Kidd/Carter/Jefferson? I see the Cavs losing a lot of close games here. Nets in 6.

Western Conference: Well, it was certainly more competitive out West. 2 five game series, one 6 game upset, and even a 7 game battle royal.

Dallas/Golden State: I've got nothing against the Mavericks, but I was rooting for the Warriors just because they were the underdog. It's more fun that way. And this was a fun series to watch. The Warriors were outstanding, just running up and down the court, driving to the hoop, launching 3s early in the shot clock. What fun. Plus, as a fellow fan of a long-suffering franchise, I've got to be happy for the Warriors fans, finally having something to be excited about. And watching Marc Cuban mouth "piss off" (that's what I think he said) to the cameraman at the end of Game 6 was hilarious from some reason.

Phoenix/Los Angeles: I was a little worried when Phoenix lost Game 3. It happens to them sometimes, where they're running and the shots aren't falling, and the other team takes advantage of the effect it has on their defense to blow them out of the water. Thankfully, they got their shit together and dusted the Lakers the next two games. That's good, they need the opportunity to rest so they can go full tilt at the Spurs. As for the Lakers, I don't hate Kobe, he's a great player and all, but I'm really glad his team lost. I'd much rather watch the Suns.

San Antonio/Denver. After Denver won Game 1, everyone brought up the playoff series in '05 where they won the first game, then lost 4 straight, but everyone was insisting this Nuggets squad was better and wouldn't go through that again. Whoops. For the record, I didn't think they'd beat the Spurs, but I figured Carmelo was better and that Iverson was too gritty to go out like they did. Of course, his "grit" might have better served the team if it had been used to drive the hoop and draw fouls, instead of trying to lob up ugly jump shots. You're not in Philly anymore Mr. Iverson. You have scoring help now. As for the Spurs, what can you say? They are the perfect playoff team. They cruise through the regular season, using it to integrate any new players into their style, while winning enough games to get a good seeding, but not going so gung-ho on that quest that they use up everything they've got. Then the playoffs start, and they do the same things they've been doing, just at a higher level. It's frightening in it's efficiency.

Utah/Houston: I confess I didn't watch too much of this series, but I did watch the second half of Game 7, and there in the last minutes I have to wonder: why wasn't T-Mac getting the ball more? It seemed like every possession the ball got thrown into Yao Ming, and most of the times he hit the shots, maybe drew the foul, which is what you want. But he's so workmanlike about it. McGrady could do those same things, but in a more explosive manner, one that would bring the crowd to their feet, and demoralize his opponents in the face of his sheer awesomeness. He's capable of it. He demoralizes me everytime I watch him hurl that sheep in those commercials, just because I know I can't match that. It's hard to get off the couch after that. So I feel bad for McGrady being kept out of Round 2 again. On the other hand, it means both architects of those hideous Knicks/Heat series are out of the playoffs. Woo-hoo! Yeah, I hold grudges awhile, but you have to understand, those were ugly games. I guess I should say something about the Jazz. Hmm, do Cavs fans wish they still had Carlos Boozer, or is there too much hatred? Because he looked pretty damn good in this series, and his inside presence would probably come in handy against New Jersey.

Phoenix/San Antonio: I want Phoenix to win. There, I said it. I may find the Spurs frightening in their efficiency, but I also find them mostly dull. I want to be entertained, screw lockdown defense. Can Phoenix win? Yeah. Will they win? Uh, probably not. Am I just saying that to avoid giving Phoenix the Kiss of Death by picking them? Yes, which is why I'm picking Spurs in 7.

Utah/Golden State: I admit, I wanted Houston to win, despite the presence of van Gundy. I just really wanted to see if the Warriors small-ball would work against a team with a real center, instead of Diop and Dampier. Maybe Mehmet Okur fits that bill too, but he spends so much time out by the 3-point line that I kind of doubt it. One thing is for sure: no matter how fast the Warriors run, Jerry Sloan won't let his team try and match it. They'll keep going along at the pace they usually do, but I'm not sure that's going to work for them. Warriors in 6.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home