Saturday, August 14, 2010

Talking About The Current Cardinals

I haven't done any posting about the 2010 Cardinals this year. There are a couple of reasons, both relating to me not feeling a connection with the team.

The first is because until the end of June, there was no TV where I was living, so watching games was out, and I've never been much of a fan of listening to games on the radio. More of a visual learner. Since the start of July, I've had access to TV, but I've fallen out of the habit, so I still haven't been watching. Really, I haven't been watching any TV, an hour a day, tops. So my investment's been limited to reading about the team on the Internet, which can be informative, but it doesn't convey any emotional connection to the team for me.

The second reason is, I was kind of disappointed in the Matt Holliday signing. For starters, I thought the contract was too large, as I wouldn't have gone higher than 6 years, $96 million (and I would have started at 5/$80). It's not my money being spent, but the owner will factor that contract into how much they can spend to plug other holes as needed, be it rotation, or perhaps finding a real second baseman (as Schumaker, Felipe Lopez, and Aaron Miles don't qualify). That's provided there isn't anyone in the system that could step in (and as far as 2nd base goes, I don't think there is anyone close). I tend to prefer when the Cardinals are more reliant on players they developed, as opposed to big name free agents. If the Cardinals had let Holliday walk and given the left field job to Allen Craig, I'd certainly have been intrigued. It would have made it tougher, but that would have been more interesting, and it would have been a deviation from what I tend to expect of LaRussa teams.

They didn't go that route (and as far as team performance this year, it's almost certainly been to their benefit), and they've seemingly been trying all season to be less reliant on younger players. Bringing Aaron Miles, Jeff Suppan, Mike MacDougal, Jake Westbrook, Randy Winn. Westbrook's been useful, though I'm really not sure he was worth trading Ryan Ludwick to a potential playoff foe (assuming the Cardinals make the playoffs). So that's put me off a bit as well.

Still, I was entertained by the recent series with the Reds. I don't know how concerned Cincinnati should be, considering how many games are left and the Cardinals hit the Reds with what have been their 3 best starters up to this point (Westbrook may surpass Garcia soon). Still, it had to be a little frustrating for them, with Brandon Phillips talking trash, then they get swept, thoroughly failing to back up his talk. I can't understand the suspensions the league handed down. I assume Cueto was suspended because one of his kicks allegedly gave LaRue a concussion, but I can't see how Phillips, Rolen, Carpenter, and especially Molina didn't get tagged. Yeah, Phillips shouldn't have tried tapping the shin guards in a "We cool?" moment after his comments, but that doesn't mean Yadier had to get in his face and start jawing. I really don't understand singling Cueto amongst the players.

I am impressed that when Carpenter and Rolen went at it, they didn't end up injuring themselves. I wouldn't have been surprised to see Carp come up holding his elbow, and Rolen his shoulder, and then each of them is out for the season. I'm not sure which team would have been hurt worse. Losing Carpenter would weaken the rotation, and the bullpen would likely have to increase its workload, but Rolen's an everyday player for the Reds, and I'm not sure they have a 3rd baseman available who could approximate his performance. Guess it's fortunate for both teams it didn't happen.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home