Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Ozzie bites another bats head off!


The title is a little misleading. This is a post about Chicago Whitesox Manager Ozzie Guillen. Recenlty Guillen called out Chicago Sun Times reporter, Jay Marrioti, in front of a bunch of reporters. During this informal interview, Guillen called Mariotti, among other things, a fag.
Now Ozzie Guillen has a long history of saying whatever comes into his head. He is either hated or adored around the sports world for his candor. The quote that they have I do not think should offend gay people (more on this later) however his defense of his actions are ridiculous. Guillen's explanation is that in his country, Venezuela, fag is used in a different manner than it is used over here and that he was not sure what it meant in America. Yea one problem buddy, you've live in America for the past 25 years. You were here during Will and Grace (no homo), you know what the fuck it means so don't play the ignorance card please.
I am not homophobic and I do not find the hatred of homosexuals, or anybody for that matter, to be acceptable. However, I do not agree with the class of thought that the word fag is a derogatory term to gays. When I hear the word I think of a feminine dude, not necessarily a gay person. That being said I also understand why most gay people are offended by the word. My final defense of Guillen is that from what I understand, this was a pretty informal sit down. Im sure he did not mean to be quoted directly, and if everyone got in trouble for some shit they said while kicking it then we'd all be in trouble a lot of the time.

5 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Yeah, his defense was very weak. I admit that when someone says "fag" around me, my typical first thought is of a homosexual, unless I'm feeling British, then I think of cigarettes.

The funniest part of all this was on "Around the Horn" yesterday when they discussed this, and Stat Boy asked Mariotti if he thought Guillen should be reprimanded for calling Mariotti that. Because, I'm sure Jay Mariotti would be totally objective about that.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger tonymacq said...

BTW just for clarification, Mariioti IS a fag

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so... I agree with prettu much everything up there, EXCEPT for the whole "I don't think fag is a derogatory term" thing. Unfortunately for you, unless you are, in fact, homosexual, you don't get to decide whether fag is a derogatory term or not, just like white people don't get to decide whether nigga is derogatory or not when they use it. But everything else is cool.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger tonymacq said...

Fair enough, but just because I dont believe it be a derrogatory term does not mean I would use it indiscriminantly (sp?) around just anyone for fear that someone would be offended.
I am not telling gay people what they should and should not be offended by, because as you know, I hate when people do that to me.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Jay Marrioti is a fag. I hate the White Sox but i like Guillen because he is so ridiculously retarded.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home