Friday, March 06, 2009

Best Cardinals Of My Fandom Team - Part 2

It's part 2, which is going to go much more quickly because we're talking offensive line this time, and truth be told, I don't know how to properly rate offensive linemen, and I don't see the answer crashing down from heaven anytime soon, so best to just get on with it.

Left Tackle - Lomas Brown 1996-1998.

L.J. Shelton actually has more years as the starter, but Brown has a Pro Bowl, and I recall Shelton being kind of a bust, especially for being a 1st round pick (21st overall). Leonard Davis had 3 years here as well (2004-2006), but again, he suffers from never living up to the hype placed on him being drafted 2nd overall. Luis Sharpe probably merited consideration, since he was a 3-time Pro Bowler, but all of those were in the late '80s, outside the purview of this exercise.

Left Guard - Pete Kendall 2001-2002.

Funny thing, no Arizona Cardinal has been the starting left guard more than 2 consecutive seasons. Whether that means they can't find anyone good, or they don't consider it a position worth finding a long-term answer for, I don't know. Given their track record for the majority of the period in question, I'd bet on the former. As for why Kendall, I just remember him getting generally good grades in the reports after games.

Center - Ed Cunningham 1993-1995.

Only person with 3 years as starting center. Yeah, it's that basic.

Right Guard - Anthony Redmon 1995-1997.

Redmon started 41 games those 3 years, Lester Holmes 45 from 98-00, and Deuce Lutui has 40 starts the last 3 years. I know Lutui has a penchant for penalties, and there was considerable talk this year about him getting benched at times. Holmes never played in the NFl again after leaving Arizona, despite being just 31, while Redmon logged 2 years with the Carolina, and 1 with Atlanta, including one year as starting right guard. Holmes was a 1st round choice for Philly, Lutui a 2nd for Arizona, Redmon a 5th round choice. So I guess I'm choosing the underdog.

Right Tackle - Anthony Clement 1999-2001, 2003

I don't think Clement was ever anything to write home about, to be honest. he was a massive guy, and he and Shelton were supposed to be these massive bookend tackles that would protect Plummer and open lanes for the running game, but it never really came to fruition. Clement seemed to be hurt frequently, and his size left him vulnerable to speed rushers. Still, he logged more time there than anyone else, so I guess he'll do.

Well, that was entirely unsatisfying, but I never was that well-versed on what makes linemen good or bad. Next time, I'll focus on the defensive side, so hopefully that will be a little more interesting.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home